There are very many options for women when they go to the salon to do their nails. When considering false nail application, you may be asked to choose between acrylic or gel nails. There are several things that you need to know before making your decision on the gel nails to go for.
What are Acrylic nails
Acrylic nails have had an increasing popularity due to their staying power. They have been an essential in the beauty industry over the years. Donne Geer, the co-founder of Hey, Nice Nails explains acrylic to be applied using a powder polymer and a liquid monomer to generate a hard protecting layer over the natural nails. They only harden after exposure to the air. When it hardens, it provides a flawless canvas for application of nail color and nail designs as desired.
How to get started with gel nails
According to Jamie white, a product and beauty expert at Spaciety, application of gel nail provides strength of acrylic nails with the appearance of natural human nails. Gel nails harden only after exposure to UV light unlike the acrylic nails. Geer adds that gel polishes are almost similar to the nail polish since they have a top coat, polish color and a base coat. Each of the mentioned coat has to be left in the UV light for around 2-3 minutes upon application. Both acrylic and gel nails undergo chemical processes for them to bond to the natural nails.
Comparison between acrylic and gel nails
Both kinds of nails can make short nails longer, strengthen them, and even make the fingers look slender and longer. The advantages and disadvantages of application of both types of nails are listed below to help you decide on which to choose.
Advantages of acrylic nails
1. A broken acrylic nail can be fixed at home hence no need to consult a professional.
2. The process of removal of these nails is straightforward and very simple when done by a professional. Nails are not filed off but soaked.
3. Acrylic nails are considered to be very strong and can last for a long time when done appropriately and with proper care of the nails
4. It is cheaper to apply acrylic nails compared to gel nails.
Disadvantages of acrylic nails
1. Its application involves fumes and strong chemicals hence should not be used during pregnancy.
2. They may look artificial especially when applied wrongly.
3. The acrylic nails can damage your nail root causing a breeding ground for bacteria and fungus, as White notes.
Advantages of gel nails
1. They cure faster than acrylic nails.
2. They are considered safer and eco-friendly since they don’t produce fumes like acrylic nails.
3. Gel nails look glossy and more natural than other types of nails.
Disadvantages of gel nails
1. They are expensive to apply and les durable than acrylic nails.
2. They require UV light to cure hence cannot be easily done at home like the acrylic nails.
3. Gel nails need to be filed off even though there exists few soak-off types in the market.
Although both acrylic and gel nails can be applied at home, it is good if they are done by professionals. Application of acrylic nails in the house can be tricky due to the fumes. Gel nails won뭪 harden well without the UV light as well. After this application, the nails can be painted. French tips can be done on the nails or even create designs on them. Most people have advanced that airbrushing appears better on gel nails since they have a more glossy polish.
Selection of the best nail
Donne Geer advises that soak-off gels are the best. They don’t cause any damages to the nails and they also don’t require any extra filing. He also continues to argue that there are many other variables that need to be considered when it comes to selection of the best artificial nails. There are many artificial nails in the market. It is good to consult with nail technicians around your locality to discuss the various options. You can as well acquire information about nails from various websites, blog spots, magazines, and journals. Your friends and relatives can also be a good source of information. Before going to the shop, you can call the spa to confirm what you are going to purchase.